Monday, October 6, 2008

Facebook is your responsibility

Facebook started out as a college networking website. Now it has spread out to parents, coworkers, and kids below college. Because of the Facebook expansion, there is more on the line for everyone with a membership profile. Parents can easily log onto Facebook and see what their kids are up to. However, the most critical issue is employers using Facebook to judge whether they hire a potential employee or not. Thus, people who sign up for Facebook must be aware of this. It is the Facebook user's responsibility to have privacy settings and not put up any information or pictures that might hurt their chances of being hired. An employer has all the rights to check a person's facebook because it does define their character. In a job interview, one would go dressed appropriately and have a professional attitude. The employer is making judgements based on the interview. Thus, in the same manner, an employer can make judgements based on Facebook. The same way you would act in the workplace is the same way you should act on the Internet if you are aware that it is public.

5 comments:

Kim Bryden said...

Actually, for at least four interviews I have been on for a job (that I know of)...the person hiring me either looked me up on facebook or had their current intern look me up. It's a little creepy that they know stuff about me that isn't on my resume before meeting me. However, I am now very cautious of what I display.

Song said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Song said...

Yes, I think it is creepy that who are traking my footprints because of the judgment(related to hiring.)
It is obiously that we have to be consious about acting in the Intetnet and it will be a little uncomfortable situation that we always have to be in tension on the Internet. What would we do....

diggersf said...

I agree that we as college students should be smart about what we put online. Facebook makes it easy(ish) to keep your content from unwanted viewers. Personally, I wouldn't want to work for someone who makes assumptions about me based on a Google search. It's a pretty cowardly way to get to know someone.

Na Rae said...

We can easily find someone's characteristic, hobby, religion, personal realtionships on Facebook. It is helpful to figure out what kind person are you briefly. And if you decide to something to publish the internet, it is for public, and you already agreed to that. In this aspect, employer have a right to check employee's Facebook. But i don't think Facebook reflect someone's 'real' characteristic.